If you use your kitchen faucet frequently, repairs are a common need. Usually, it results from an O-ring that has come loose.
Corrosion, a missing O-ring, or other sealant issues likely cause a dripping kitchen faucet. You can easily fix it without the need to hire an expensive plumber. All you have to do is replace corroded parts or broken seals. By taking these steps, you’ll quickly stop your leaking sink from becoming more of a problem than necessary.
Depending on the problem, you can fix the issue yourself to help save money. Below are four reasons why your kitchen faucet needs repairs.
There’s a small disk inside your faucet known as the O-ring. After turning the faucet on and off many times, the O-ring can become lost or broken.
The valve sits between the faucet and the spout. Over time it corrodes due to sediment build-up, causing a leaky faucet. With minimal build-up, a simple repair will fix the problem. Nevertheless, if the valve has deteriorated, it must be replaced.
Worn Out Washer
When you turn on your faucet, the washer inside presses against the valve. It causes a lot of friction which leads to the washer wearing out. Most people make the mistake of tightening the faucet when it’s leaking, causing damage to the washer.
If you install the washer and your faucet leaks, it may be best to call a professional plumber. They can check if you have the correct washer size or if there’s another reason for the leak.
You can easily fix these issues with a few tools at home. However, we at A-Absolute Plumbing will be more than happy to repair the leaky kitchen faucet if you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself.
Leaky Kitchen Faucet Repair
Never let your faucet leak, no matter how small of a problem it may currently be. If you continue to let it leak, the cost of repairs will only rise.
On average, a kitchen faucet repair costs around $200 when you catch the issue early on. It’s a simple fix that anyone can do within an hour.
So, if you’re noticing a kitchen leak, it’s best to turn the water off and source the problem. Depending on the faucet you have, the steps of repairing your kitchen will be different. Below are two easy solutions to quickly and effortlessly stop a leaking ball or compression faucet.
How to Fix a Leaky Ball Faucet
Ball faucets are the most popular replacement for kitchen sinks. It’s a single-handle faucet with a ball to move the handle from hot to cold.
Over time these faucets wear out due to frequent use. Here’s how you can fix a leaky ball faucet:
- Start by shutting the water off with the valves
- Drain the leftover water in the faucet
- Add the stopper to the drain
- Under the handle is the set screw; using an Allen wrench, loosen it to remove the handle
- Tighten the collar with a spanner wrench
- Add the new handle and do a few tests to see if the faucet is still leaking
If fixing the handle doesn’t solve the problem, the cause of the leak may be coming from the O-ring. When replacing the O-ring, start by turning the water off again.
- The O-ring sits under the spout; remove the spout to find the O-ring.
- If the O-ring has visibly corroded, then use the hook of the spanner wrench to remove it
- Go to the hardware store to find an O-ring replacement kit and use it to fix the leak.
- Remember to coat these in heatproof plumber’s grease
- Add the spout and handle
- Turn the water back on and test for leaks
How to Fix a Leaky Compression Faucet
With a compression faucet, you control the water flow by turning the double handles counterclockwise or clockwise. Inside the handle is a rubber washer that creates and releases a watertight seal.
Often you need to really “push” to make the components work. With the constant pushing and low-quality material, leaks often happen with these faucets.
If you have a compression or washer faucet, here’s how to fix a leak:
- Start by turning off the water either by the valves or the main line
- Let the faucet release the unused water before you start repairing
- Plug the drain with a stopper
- Loosen the screws and remove the handles on the faucet
- On top of the washer is the stem; you use a wrench to remove the nuts and expose it
- Remove the stem to find the O-ring; it’s thinner than the seat washer
- Examine the O-ring to see if it’s broken or corroded
- If corroded, go to the hardware store to find a replacement
- If not, remove the washer and add a new replacement
- Keep in mind before you add the new washer, it’s best to coat it in plumber’s grease for protection
- For the last step, you assemble all of the parts
Until you can fix the leak, take specific steps to protect other kitchen areas. For example, you should grab a bucket and place it where the leak is to catch the water. It will prevent leaking water from getting everywhere and simplify the clean-up process.
Also, after repairing a leaky kitchen faucet, do a quick test to ensure the aerator isn’t clogged. It is the piece that screws on the end of the faucet; if it’s clogged, water will not flow properly. You can test it by running hot and cold water for a few minutes to ensure it flows smoothly.
Call Your Local Plumber for Faucet Repair
If all of your attempts to fix the leak in your kitchen faucet are unsuccessful, contact A-Absolute Plumbing. Our experts have years of repair and maintenance experience, making us number one for kitchen faucet repairs. Book a call with us now and let our team provide you with quality service.
Plus, we’re open 24/7 for emergencies, are licensed, and are 100% guaranteed. So call us today for faucet and sink repairs.